Sunday, June 19, 2011

Beef for breakfast: Steak, egg and cheese biscuits and skillet potatoes

Earlier this week, while I was many, many miles from home attending a cattle producers meeting, I had the pleasure of eating at a place called the Huisache Grill, at the recommendation of my editor who somehow always knows the good spots to eat.
I had a perfectly prepared, super delicious flat iron steak drizzled with a garlic butter sauce and some new potatoes that I talked about for roughly 2 days (just ask my coworkers).  But the best part was I left with a takeout box containing the leftover portion of my steak and one of the restaurant’s homemade rolls. Voilà — the next morning’s breakfast was taken care of!
That night, I decided I just had to showcase some other yummy ways to use leftover beef to make breakfast. (You know, other than just eating a cold slice of steak straight out of the fridge, which I’m perfectly OK with, too.)
So, today, I’m sharing my very easy steak, egg and cheese biscuits, which I’m serving with skillet potatoes.
Here’s what you’ll need to make 4 biscuit sandwiches:
Leftover steak, about 6 ounces
4 biscuits (canned or frozen work just fine)
2 eggs, beaten
3 slices American cheese (you won’t need a whole slice for each biscuit, so you can just cut them up a little to make them fit)
Salt and pepper
To make them:
Cook the biscuits according to package directions.
Warm the steak just enough to take the chill off, but not to where you’re still cooking it.
Pour beaten eggs into a microwave safe bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can also sprinkle in a little cheddar cheese if you’d like. Cook about 1.5 minutes on high. Microwaves seem to vary quite a bit on these, so you might check it at 1 minute. If it isn't done after 1.5 minutes, just add about 10 seconds at a time until it's done. You’ll know the big egg patty is done when it’s no longer runny.
Cut the egg patty into 4 pieces.
Add a couple of steak slices, egg patty piece and cheese to each biscuit.
Now, for the skillet potatoes, you’ll need:
1 baking potato
Olive oil
Coarse pepper
Sea salt
To make these super easy potatoes:
Cook a whole potato (with a few holes poked in it) in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes to get it started.
Cut into slices, and then cut each slice into quarters.
Use just enough olive oil to barely cover the bottom of a cast iron skillet. Heat to medium-high.
Add potato pieces and cook until brown and just a little crisp on the edges, about 12-15 minutes. Season with the sea salt and coarse pepper and serve with ketchup.
Our Sunday brunch looked like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment