Saturday, December 17, 2011

A good sale and a great prime rib

I love a good sale. I mean, seriously, what girl doesn’t? But I don’t need the Nordstrom Semi-Annual Shoe Sale to get all giddy (although it is one of the best things ever). Nope, give me access to some discounted high-quality beef and I’m ecstatic.
As I wrote in Beef Buying Basics: The most bang for your buck, I’m a huge proponent of watching the specials. It’s a great way to get to occasionally upgrade your grocery cart without blowing your budget. Like yesterday, for instance. I arrived at the grocery store’s full-service meat counter to find Certified Angus Beef bone-in rib roasts (also known as prime rib) discounted to half-price.  While rib roasts don’t regularly fit into my grocery budget, I can usually get 2-3 per year at a reasonable price just by keeping any eye on the specials board. And what a treat they are!
I got a small 2-rib roast that weighed in at 3.5 pounds, perfect for one special meal for the Mr. and me, plus enough leftovers for some amazing sandwiches or salads.
I served it with corn, my roasted garlic mashed potatoes and fresh yeast rolls.
Now, for a couple of notes on rib roasts in general, before I get into the recipe and instructions:

1. Cooking time will vary greatly depending on size of roast (and remember not all 2-rib or 3-rib roasts will weigh the same) and your oven. To be sure, always use a meat thermometer.

2. The roast will continue to cook as it rests, so remove it from the oven when the meat thermometer reads 5 to 10 degrees lower than your desired final temperature. (For medium rare, aim for 135 degrees. For medium, remove it about 150 degrees.)
Ingredients:
3.5 pound bone-in rib roast
3 tablespoons coarse black pepper and 1.5 tablespoons garlic pepper, combined

Directions:
Two hours before cooking, place rib roast, fat side up, in a roasting pan. Rub generously with the pepper blend. Return to refrigerator until time to cook.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Insert ovenproof meat thermometer in the roast so tip is centered in thickest part, but not resting in fat or touching bone.
Cook roast about 1.5 to 1.75 hours for medium rare, or until meat thermometer reads 135 degrees.
Remove from oven and place on carving surface. Tent with foil and allow to rest approximately 20 minutes.
Carve and serve. The Mr.'s plate looked like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment