Sunday, November 6, 2011

Top 3 in Texas

Good afternoon, blogosphere! I was in hopes I’d be able to bring you a cooking post by now, but a week’s worth of travel means a still unfinished kitchen. So, in the meantime, I thought I’d talk a little about beef away from home.
As much as I love to cook, I also love to eat out. That’s definitely the best part about traveling (well, that and fresh sheets on the bed every day) in my opinion, especially when you can go somewhere and get a good steak. And while my list of top steakhouses may not be as a much of a must-read as Texas Monthly’s edition, I thought you all might enjoy hearing about my favorites.
I could have easily made a long extensive list broken down by regions, atmosphere or pricing, but decided instead to showcase my top 3. They are that good, and deserve the prestige (Hey, it’s my blog. I can call this prestigious if I want, right?) of being 1 of 3.
So, in no particular order, here goes.
Perini Ranch Steakhouse This one is a Texas legend, and a must-visit. It sits on a ranch in remote Buffalo Gap and is a completely rustic, come-as-you-are kind of place that just happens to be owned by a world-class cowboy cook. I recommend the peppered strip steak and bread pudding. For more information, visit periniranch.com.
Bob’s Steak and Chop House This place is a prime steak-only joint that does not disappoint. Ever. They have white tablecloths, but it’s not stuffy. They also have the most heavenly cream style corn ever. I recommend it on the side of a filet or bone-in ribeye. For more information and locations, visit bobs-steakandchop.com.
Margaret Heinen's Western Sky Steak House Located in San Angelo, this is the kind of place you’d expect to see on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. You’d never know it from the outside, but this 40+ year old establishment has some of the best steak you’ll ever eat (and really good Mexican food, too). I recommend the tenders (or a filet for a smaller portion) with German fries, and an onion ring appetizer. For more information, visit westernskysteakhouse.org.
What about you? What are your favorites in your part of the country?

No comments:

Post a Comment