Sunday, November 20, 2011

Surf and turf at home

It’s been more than 3 weeks since I’ve been able to cook, so when the Mr. gave me the all-clear to cook tonight (as long as I avoided the section of countertops where the paint is still drying), I knew I had to make it something good.
I decided on the surf and turf meal I’d had planned since winning 2 rock lobster tails in an online contest from Certified Steak and Seafood last month. After all, what’s more celebratory than steak and lobster?
It’s also an opportunity to show you just how easy it is to make a super impressive restaurant-style meal at home for a lot less money. And with the holiday season upon us, who doesn’t want to do date night for less?
Note: I used a sirloin steak because it is big enough for 2, yet cooks in about the same amount of time as the lobster, but you can use any cut of beef and adjust cooking times accordingly. Additionally, though I used rock lobster tails, you can cook Maine lobster tails in the same manner.
Ingredients:
1 sirloin steak, seasoned with your favorite steak seasoning (I used garlic pepper)
2 lobster tails
1 stick of unsalted butter
2 teaspoons garlic powder
Directions:
Spray gas grill with non-stick spray and heat to medium.
Using a knife or kitchen shears, split the lobster tails in half lengthwise to expose flesh.
Melt ½ stick of the butter and add in ½ of the garlic powder.
Brush garlic butter mixture onto exposed flesh of each lobster tail.
Place steak and lobster tails (flesh side down) on grill. Cook about 5- to 6- minutes and then turn. Brush the lobster with more of the butter mixture. Cook another 5- to 6- minutes, or until the steak reaches desired doneness and the lobster is opaque and firm.
Melt the remaining butter, add remaining garlic powder and mix well. Use this batch to serve with the lobster. I served ours with steamed new potatoes and yeast rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment