Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sonora casserole

This Tex-Mex casserole is a family recipe that’s inexpensive to make and will feed a group (or allow for plenty of leftovers).
You’ll need:
2 pounds ground beef
1 chopped onion (Can use frozen)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small can evaporated milk
1 small can chopped green chiles
1 pound grated American cheese
12 corn tortillas, torn into quarters

Brown the ground beef.
Add onion, soups, evaporated milk and green chiles and stir well.
In a disposable giant lasagna-sized pan or glass casserole dish, layer tortillas, meat mixture, and then cheese. Repeat.
Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

4 comments:

  1. Can you use Fresh Chili's? My little sweet Chili plant has gone wild and I have lots of them. They are about the same heat as a jalapeno. Now on another note.....reading and following your blog got me thinking, A friends daughter is blogging as well so I thought.....:) http://crazedcattlewoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could definitely use fresh. I would probably use about the same amount as the can, which is about 4.5 ounces. I think the recipe just calls for canned since the chile season is pretty short. Let me know how it turns out!

    And thanks for the tip on the blog. I always enjoy reading other cattle/ag blogs and will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your making me look good in the kitchen! The casserole was a huge hit! I did add chopped red peppers for color. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, good idea! And I'm so glad it turned out well for you! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know! :)

    ReplyDelete