Friday, August 17, 2012

Frito taco pie

On occasion, while planning my trip to the grocery store, I’ll ask the Mr. if there’s anything he wants me to cook in the next few days. Sometimes he has suggestions, sometimes he doesn’t. As a journalist, I always have follow-up questions when he doesn't.
“Is there anything you like I don’t make enough of?” I asked, not too long ago.
“Stuff with Fritos in it,” he said.
Challenge accepted.
The first meal was a knock-off of Sonic’s half hot dog, half Frito chili pie. You know, basically a chili cheese dog with a bunch of Fritos on it. The second meal (featured below), however, was my own spin on the Frito chili pie. It’s much faster to make than the original since spicy taco meat is subbed for chili. 
Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
1 packet hot taco seasoning (or mild, if you prefer)
Water
Fritos
Taco sauce
Mexican blend cheese
Pickled nacho sliced jalapenos
Sour cream (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350
Brown ground beef on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Drain, if necessary.
Mix taco seasoning and water according to package directions. Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Arrange Fritos on individual plates, topping with meat, taco sauce, cheese and jalapenos. Repeat.
Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
If desired, top with sour cream.
The Mr.’s looked like this:

1 comment: